February 14, 2010

Bangalore green spaces

Today was again about being outside and getting away from the hotel for the day. Two of the places I have been told that I needed to go to are Lal Bagh and Cubbon Park. They are both large green spaces near the center of the city of almost 300 acres and are said to be a must to visit when visiting this city. My driver took me to Lal Bagh first. It is a well known botanical garden and was commissioned by the ruler of Mysore, Hyder Ali in 1760. It has a famous glass house and also has an aquarium and a lake. I spent a couple of hours walking around. I very much enjoyed this park, it seemed very well taken care of and there were lots of families and couples strolling around the grounds.

After spending a couple of hours there enjoying the scenery, I then went to Cubban park. I had high hopes for this park and was a little disappointed. It was not as nice as Lal Bagh in my opinion because it is not as green or groomed. I thought this might be a place that I could one day go and run in, but I did not see anyone even remotely running and the park has roadways cutting through - and again the wild dogs. It is at least a half hour drive away, so I don't think that running there is in my future. Walking around these parks, I was definitely a minority and clearly a tourist and as a result had a lot of people staring at me. Maybe I need to start dressing like the other women here?


No comments:

Post a Comment