February 6, 2010

Bannerghatta National Park

I was feeling a little cooped up after this past week and needed to get outside and away from the office and the hotel. After talking with people at the hotel and the office I decided this national park was the best bet. I was told that it was about 45 minutes away from the hotel on the outskirts of the city. It took the driver almost 2 hours to get there. Perhaps he didn't take me on the most direct route or I was mislead on the distance? I didn't mind too much as I still enjoy seeing the city streets as we drive through.

We finally made it to the Park and I paid the $150INR to get the grand safari tour - about $4! The grand safari tour included a bus drive through the park to see lions and tigers and other native Indian animals. I was ushered onto a bus and felt lucky to get the last seat at the front, next to the driver with unobstructive views out of the front and side windows. The tour took about an hour and sure enough we saw different types of deer, bears (Asian black bears), lions, and tigers, including white tigers.
The lions and white tigers were sleeping as it was the middle of the day, so didn't get to see them up and about but we did see them sleeping close by.
The animals all looked healthy and well taken care of which was nice to see. After the tour was over, I was made to realize why I was given the best seat on the bus. Everyone got off the bus first, and as I was getting off, I was held back and told I had to provide a tip! No one else had to which kind of irked me, but since I had the best seat and the driver did take a couple of the pictures for me with my camera, I gave him an additional $150INR. He wanted more, but I refused and had to practically push my way off.

I then went into the attached zoo where they had a surprising amount of other animals. I spent another hour and a half waking around looking at snakes, crocodiles, monkeys, birds, elephants, and more. It was just nice to relax and wander around outside. I could have taken a ride on an elephant, but felt I could live without that experience and I think the elephants could too as they did not look that thrilled with their occupation. Unfortunately the animals here did not look as well taken care of. Their cages were mostly small and bare and not really all that secure. It would be so easy to jump into the hippo or crocodile pens. I guess Indian people have a lot more sense than North Americans and Europeans - or it is an easy, cheap way to feed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment